February 09, 2007

In-House News

UPDATED BELOW

Regular readers may have noticed that the frequency of posting in this space has diminished significantly of late, and when posting occurs, it tends to be more by way of rapid links to other articles/analyses, rather than original content. The fact is that maintaining this blog, always a major struggle given time pressures, has become much harder recently. Not only does my day job continue to involve long hours and frequent travel, but my wife and I recently had a child, so my few off-hours are under even greater pressure. I don't know whether I'll be able to strike some new balance and get back to somewhat regular blogging in this space sometime in the future, but I thought I'd point out that, for the foreseeable future at least, blogging will necessarily be quite episodic. Apologies, as I would have put up a note earlier, but didn't have the time to put up a rapid blurb to this effect. In the meantime, please enjoy all the excellent blogs listed to the right, and don't give up on me totally (at least not just yet!).

UPDATE: Just thought I'd put a quick update up, as even close friends of mine are writing in, wondering if this blog is a thing of the past. I'm been working non-stop on a transaction for almost two months--away from my family during the week--commuting back to be with them during the weekends. The marathon work days and rushed travel back home mean there's precious little time to spend with the new baby and my wife, so blogging time is simply non-existent, even on weekends. l hope to be back in this space sometime in April, however, but frankly can't be sure given the intense pace at work, continued significant travel, and other time constraints. We'll see....There's quite a bit afoot on the foreign policy front I'd be interested in broaching here, but there are simply not enough hours in the day right now....Bottom line: back when/if/as able.

P.S. I did also want to add that I found the time to read this engrossing George Packer piece on a recent flight. It's long, but worth reading in full. I highly recommend it.

Posted by Gregory at February 9, 2007 11:21 PM
Comments

congrats on the baby greg!

can you recommend any sane, knowledgeable and insightful conservative bloggers like yourself? (they seem to be in very short supply....)

Posted by: p.lukasiak at February 9, 2007 11:59 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats on the baby

Post when you can , as you can. I have been in the blogosphere for five years and don't plan on leaving. If & when you post, I will read you..

Lukasiak, most of the left or central sphere are now reading John Cole & Associates at Balloon Juice. That may disqualify him. Andrew Olmstead has a blog and visits Obsidian Wings.

Posted by: bob mcmanus at February 10, 2007 02:19 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,
Congrats !!!

Posted by: This Machine Kills Fascists at February 10, 2007 02:46 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Whatever. You have decided that you have determined that you are incompetent to defend your opinions. I'll make note of that when I further come across other Republican apologists.

Posted by: raj at February 10, 2007 04:47 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg:

You have decided that you have determined that you have realized that you have been struck with the idea that you have (pardon the pun) conceived that you believe that you anticipate that you foresee that you understand that you conclude that bringing a child into the world and raising him/her would be infinitely more joyful, rewarding, awe-inspiring and humbling than staring at a computer screen.

For that, I have decided that I have determined that I have realized that I have been struck with the idea that I have (pardon the pun) conceived that I believe that I anticipate that I foresee that I understand that I conclude that you deserve all of the congratulations and best wishes in the world.

As such, I have decided that I have determined that I have realized that I have been struck with the idea that I have (pardon the pun) conceived that I believe that I anticipate that I foresee that I understand that I conclude that I should therefore congratulate you most heartily.

And so I do. God bless and as always, I will keep an eye out for future posts from you.

Posted by: Pejman Yousefzadeh at February 10, 2007 05:05 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulation on the personal commitment, I wish I had such distractions to deal with. But being old, grey, and close to 50, I suppose I will never have such a chance. I can thank local, corrupt, and totally disgusting Georgia republicans for that one...
I have enjoyed your missives, and the small rays of truth that have permeated the smokescreen of BS which eminates from the current adminstration. At this point, I am truly looking to move to Sweden, Canada or Australia, just to get away from decades of debt which will be foisted upon the American public in the near future to pay for this BS war, which was manipulated by the utterly corrupt moneychangers of the the world. Oy Vey!

Posted by: Greg at February 10, 2007 09:31 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats about your child! Please keep up posting when you find the time, and rest assured that 1 note of yours here tends to be more worthwhile than 5 notes a day at most other spots. I'm sure you'll keep your readership even working on a reduced frequency :)

Posted by: Mentar at February 10, 2007 10:00 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Gregory,
No apologies needed nor wanted. What Lileks wrote to Glenn Reynolds applies to you and every other blogger as well; you are not a puiblic utility. Blogging is fun but families are *important*. I hope yours does well in the years to come! ^_^

lukasiak.
If you want "sane", insightful, and knowledgeable slightly right of center bloggers then you could do a lot worse than Jane Galt. Jerry Pournelle's Chaos Manor is also a good place to visit. ^^

Posted by: Towering Barbarian at February 10, 2007 10:15 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats on the baby !!!.

On a significantly less important note, your site rules in quality vs quantity & RSS means you posts are never missed ( for me anyway ).

Posted by: Nigel at February 10, 2007 11:22 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations!

Don't worry about us, we'll do fine.

Posted by: CharleyCarp at February 10, 2007 01:00 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Attend to all things in your universe. International politics will never end, the masses will suckle from the nipple of the wise again when you return.

Posted by: Guy REal at February 10, 2007 01:21 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg - come to Canada. You would very much like southern Ontario - or perhaps Vancouver and southern British Columbia.

Blog Greg - congrats on the baby!

Posted by: DRS at February 10, 2007 01:37 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg:

Congratulations to you and the Mrs : sure Baby is doing well. It is best to post when you are able to. Thoughtful posts are preferable to daily outpourings that do not add much to the issue being dealt with.

Hopefully, you will have time to dissect some of the absurdities coming out of the White House and other ethically challenged venues.

Posted by: Alan at February 10, 2007 03:57 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats on the baby (what, no details?!).

It must be your first. Otherwise you would have already known how impossible it would be to give this any attention to this for the next few months.

Treasure every moment with your children -- they are fleeting and more precious than anything here.

Posted by: dmbeaster at February 10, 2007 05:35 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations!

Don't worry about the blog. Babies and family are much more important. It'll be interesting to see if parenthood mellows you out (besides exhausting you, that is) or gives your anger a more urgent edge.

Have fun - oh, and try to get some sleep :)

Posted by: CaseyL at February 10, 2007 08:01 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations on fatherhood! Don't worry about us, worry more about watching the little one grow up and become a blogger him/herself. ;D

Posted by: Doug H. at February 10, 2007 09:02 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg-

Recommend you tell your GOP colleagues near and afar to follow in your footsteps and trace your DNA, so to speak. At their current toxic pace, the party of the right will soon become extinct.

We need little baby Gregs aplenty.

Godspeed.

-resh

Posted by: reshuffle at February 11, 2007 12:07 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

One gets tired of hearing bloggers say they can't really blog anymore, but stick with me. Soon the readers just fade away, having come back once too often to find no Posts, as usual. Professor Bunyip went this way, and one can see the Belgravia Dispatch disappearing, too. Childhood needs go on for years. So, that won't change anytime soon. Greg will have to put the Blog on the back burner for years. It's over for me....

Posted by: j. Sanford at February 11, 2007 12:55 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,

Dude, congratulations on the baby. Such a wonderful time in our lives. That's great that you have your family as a greater priority. Would that more people learn this truly important principle. Your family is of far greater value than anything else on this earth. If you fail them, really, what else do you have that could compensate? I've got a nine month old, and let me tell you, my wife and I are truly in heaven. Treasure these times. These kids grow up waaaaaaay too fast!

Posted by: Dan at February 11, 2007 01:12 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

First, congratulatons. Second, don't miss a second of that child's journey (sorry for the unasked-for advice). Third, thank you for what you have shared here. I've agreed with you, disagreed with you, and sometimes have been irritated by what you have written. The constant has been your dedication to call it as you see it, which is more rare than one might think.

Also, thanks to the people who write in this forum. It really is one of thr better ones.

Posted by: Will Allen at February 11, 2007 02:02 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg, toss one more congrats on the pile, to all three of you, from a recent but committed reader. Enjoy every second with the lil' one, they get bigger quicker than you think.

As for the site, a suggestion: instead of all or nothing, just shoot for one post a week, with the most important bullet points you'd like to share.

Thanks for all the great hysteria-free analysis. We'll miss it.

Posted by: Judah at February 11, 2007 02:42 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

As you wish, Mr. Djrerejian. Your unwillingness to explain your apparent continuing adherence to the Republican party, which many of us cast off decades ago, and, more notably your inexplicable casting of your lots with the Bush malAdministration's war on Iraq, says volumes.

Posted by: raj at February 11, 2007 03:01 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats on the baby; let me echo the comment that you are totally allowed to share some details -- boy/girl, size, relative state of advancement are all totally allowed -- my kids were playing the harp at 9 months, for example........ ;-)

From now on, you have a lot of lessons/issues with time management and priorities. This is not a bad thing.

Posted by: Whammer at February 11, 2007 04:48 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

If your baby is Republican or Democrat, it (the choice, not the baby) does not matter. Unfortunately it took segregationist Governor Wallace to reveal the truth that "there's not a dime's worth of difference between" Republicans and Democrats. The Democrats willingly went along with the War in Iraq, suspension of Habeas Corpus, opening mail, banning books like "America Deceived' from Amazon, stealing private lands (Kelo decision), warrant-less wiretapping and refusing to investigate 9/11 properly. They are both guilty of treason.
May your child be part of the next revolution.
Support indy media.
Last link (before Google Books bends to gov't Will and drops the title):
America Deceived (book)

Posted by: Johnny C at February 11, 2007 06:54 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations to you and the missus on your new baby!

First things first and all that. It's the Internet; we'll all still be here when you start to get a handle on the new time management paradigm.

Posted by: Consul-At-Arms at February 11, 2007 12:40 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Posted by: DRS at February 10, 2007 01:37 PM
Thanks, DRS - I have looked into that already. I really dislike cold weather, however... ;-)

I've about lost patience with the constant pandering of "both sides of the same damned coin" we call government in this country. The final insult occured when Waxman changed his verbage from "corruption, fraud and profiteering" to "mismanagement and mistakes". Just who are these spineless mouthpieces afraid of? The vast network of corrupt moneychangers of the world, apparently. The bulk of your tax dollars, both local and federal, are now paying interest on bonds and other paper being held by these "fractional reserve bankers" who have wrested control of the money supply from the people and placed it into the hands of the private "Federal Reserve". The battle between these profiteers has been an ongoing concern for thousands of years. Eisenhower was right about SO many things when he warned of this, as well as the military industrial complex. No one has yet listened...

Posted by: Greg at February 11, 2007 03:01 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I find your comments worthwhile (don't always agree with them) and hope that you will continue. You have a job and family that need your time but not every minute. Those factors, fulltime job and family give you some balance, which I find lacking in some blogs. The fact that some people go out of their way to blast you, unfortuantely, is probably a sign that you have something worthwhile to say. Even if you post only three times a month, I will read (and object if I feel a need to).

Posted by: bobsnodgrass at February 11, 2007 08:43 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Wow, that's the greatest news! Blogging? You poor fool, worry about SLEEPING.

Posted by: Sanjay Krishnaswamy at February 11, 2007 08:47 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Happy Valentine’s Day

ON TO IRAN!!!

Posted by: SomeOtherDude at February 11, 2007 08:55 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

mazel tov!!

Posted by: BOB ABRAMS at February 12, 2007 04:05 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations. Magic interlude. You are wise not to miss it. Irreplaceable. Remind yourself to keep remembering to revel in you child's infancy. Be in it. TAKE the time!! Steal it if you must.

I like your blog and POV. Realism w/o sociopathy. Tinged with elitism, but we're all prisoners of our personal brand of cultural deprivation.

Also, you write well. I may not be the best judge, as I am in total awe of anyone who uses the comma successfully. But it signifies.

Maybe you don't have to write so well, or explain your positions so completely. Most who read you have some background, and know yours.

Shorter sentences. Shorter paragraphs. Shorter posts.

Good enough.

Just don't want to lose your voice completely at this time.

Sanity is desperately wanted, tragically lacking.

Posted by: Adams at February 12, 2007 05:15 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats on the family addition. Re the blog, you might do better to specifically state a target time frame, ie weekly/biweekly.

Posted by: mike at February 13, 2007 02:32 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Confradulatins and Mazel Tov

Posted by: bob abrams at February 13, 2007 03:13 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Now you know, my friend. I can't explain it, but the time just gets sucked away. Now try explaining this lack of time to Jake (who lives two blocks away from me).

Posted by: Eddie in Cali at February 13, 2007 08:38 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations! I'm still keeping your RSS feed in my reader (and am, obviously, far behind on my reading due to grad school), so no complaints on frequency from me.

Posted by: fling93 at February 13, 2007 10:49 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,

1. Congratulations!

2. Why not make a blogging date with "us"? Pencil it into your schedule some time in the future. Don't use it as a deadline to post, but as a period of time in which you'll blog. If you post the date, we'll know when to look again.

Posted by: Jon H at February 14, 2007 04:54 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congratulations Greg!!!!

Posted by: Zena at February 14, 2007 07:35 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Gregory,

You can borrow time from work to blog. You can borrow time from your wife to blog. But I know for a fact that you can't borrow time from your baby to blog.

Unless you have run a dog kennel or a dairy farm, there is nothing to prepare you for the care of a newborn.

Congratulations! I respect you for the time and thought you put into your blog, even though we often disagree.

Posted by: Tertium Quid at February 15, 2007 06:29 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Gregory,

Posted by: Tertium Quid at February 15, 2007 06:34 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Congrats Mr. D. We'll be here when you get back.

Posted by: Eric Martin at February 16, 2007 05:50 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,

If it's your first..... welcome to the planet Parenthood, a wild and woolly place, of warm sweetness, outright rebellion, and the learned patience and character of the farmer facing all weather.

Happy growing,

Neill

Posted by: neill at February 17, 2007 05:49 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Man, you're in for major changes now. Lots of mess in store, lots of opportunities missed, but nothing like it. Gotta love it, what love has wrought in your life!

Posted by: beth at February 19, 2007 12:05 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of 3AM feedings! (The only new parent that I've known who managed to skipp this was my co-worker on the midnight to 8AM shift in a bank's computer room, many years ago.)
Good Luck, both of you will need it!

(Apologize for this being belated.)

Posted by: David All at February 22, 2007 04:23 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Thanks for the update. When/if you return, we'll be fascinated to read your views about the events of the last couple of months.

Posted by: Quiddity at March 31, 2007 09:42 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Nice to meet you and Congratulations. I hope you are able to continue in any way, shape or form. But, enjoy the baby, firstest and the wife, bestest.

Take Care.

Posted by: voxpop at April 1, 2007 01:24 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

What rare luck! I just tumbled in here from somewhere on the very day that you resumed blogging! You're bookmarked! Congrats on the baby too. Things get a lot easier when they're over thirty.

Posted by: Casey at April 4, 2007 02:53 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greetings! An excellent site! Before I came on: loan calculator goodbye

Posted by: arthurzk at April 4, 2007 03:19 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

About Belgravia Dispatch

Gregory Djerejian comments intermittently on global politics, finance & diplomacy at this site. The views expressed herein are solely his own and do not represent those of any organization.

More About the Author