November 03, 2004

Election Result Watch

I went to bed (in the far-away Caucasus; where I'm traveling on business)--veritably deluged with exit poll data E-mailed around and on various websites (Drudge etc) showing a possible (probable?) Kerry win. I was all set, come morning, to not only (of course!) confirm my agreement with the Jarvis pledge--but also congratulate a President-elect Kerry (and ask him in my blog to please pick Dick Holbrooke as his Secretary of State!).

And then, per CNN this A.M. before heading to meetings, I see that FL looks pretty safe in the Bush column (and Ohio?). And, er, more revelatory perhaps--that James Carville has just said on CNN: 'I think it's time to acknowledge that President Bush has a competitive advantage in this race' or words to that effect.

It's looking pretty good for Bush, isn't it?

Either way, let me echo Josh Chafetz's words here.

Good luck to both these hard-fought, passionate candidacies as the end game plays out. And here's hoping for a clear, uncontroversial victor by my afternoon--which is looking very likely indeed.

UPDATE: Classy of Kerry--good on him for not unnecessarily dragging this one out. More commentary on all this soon.

MORE: A mature, generous concession--particularly the heartfelt call for unity in these divisive times. I felt, yes, like I was sometimes too hard on him in these cyber-pages. For a man who has likely wanted this job ever since St. Paul's (if not before)--today must have been a crushing blow. But he handled the moment with dignified grace. Bravo, Senator!

Posted by Gregory at November 3, 2004 05:11 AM
Comments

Shanghai -- I heard a collective sigh of relief from this city's 16 million on word that Ohio looked like a Bush victory.

Posted by: Rob Vermylen at November 3, 2004 07:28 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

America has won. Morals and decency won out over nihilism and hatred. Perhaps we can join together to make America and the world a better place. God bless President Bush and America.

Posted by: lugh lampfhota at November 3, 2004 08:15 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Rob - I was just in China, and detected indifference towards the American election. The China Daily spun for Kerry somewhat though. There was more passion in France I bet.

Posted by: PJ at November 3, 2004 08:55 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Bush...if not by a landslide then enough to say he won decisively.

Now, interestingly, we will see what the democrata party does, but I will tell you, I don't hink Kerry is one to come so far into the limelight and retreat after achieving his dream of running for President and his hope for changing the world.

My prediction is that he becomes the spoiler. No longer having to cater to the Democrat center, I look for him to come back in his "protester" guise and attempt a post viet nam strategy.

Look for the coverage on the Iraqi situation to become even more intensely "gloom and doom" along with some video of dead children and the lives of people in Fallujah, terribly tormented by the evils of American bombing.

Just my post election prediction of the future.

Posted by: kat-missouri at November 3, 2004 11:13 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

German media reporting that last night's broadcast of Fahrenheit 911 got a 20.5 percent share in Germany (6.73 million viewers) and a 47 percent share in Austria. Imagine their surprise.

Posted by: D. L. at November 3, 2004 12:37 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Greg,

Now you see how far in the tank the MSM is/was for Kerry.

They used the blogosphere to try and depress turnout with those utterly asinine and bogus exit poll numbers.

They still won't post the electoral votes that he won in Iowa and New Mexico on their EV scoresheets.

To hell with the media, and academia for prostituting itself for this appeasenik candidate. And I sure hope Europe has the sense to get its head out of the sand and look at itself in the mirror (ex. the assassination of Van Gogh), but DL's post doesn't offer much hope in that arena.

Posted by: Matthew Cromer at November 3, 2004 01:07 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Kerry to concede at 1300 hrs. EST.

Posted by: section9 at November 3, 2004 04:48 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

And with him, the spectre of Vietnam will pass away...

Posted by: murph at November 4, 2004 12:40 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Interesting link, if not really scientific, it is certainly entertaining. Did Howard Stern really turn some people off enough that they voted for Bush, or not for Kerry?

Posted by: MikeMac64 at November 4, 2004 07:19 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink
"Always Thoughtful"