January 05, 2005

Belated Blogroll Update

For some reason updating blog rolls seems tremendously tedious (that must be why Glenn still hasn't blog-rolled me!) but, given the New Year, now seems a good time to finally get around to it. Joining the blogroll, effective tonight, and in no particular order, are the following blogs: 1) The American Scene (they were generous enough to link me in my early days and I had then de-linked them when they appeared to stop blogging! Their recent gig over at Sully's space reminded me how good they were and are); 2) the indefatigable Arthur Chrenkoff, who blogs the good news (intelligently, exhaustively, consistently) from Down Under--thus helping provide a good counter-point to much of the MSM's knee-jerk negativism--see this B.D. thread for a lively discussion on Chrenkoff's ouevre); 3) Jon Henke of Qando, a sincere and straight-shooting blogger who has the integrity to call torture torture from the right showcasing he isn't in constant hyper-spin mode like too many of his peers; 4) the seemingly omnipresent blogospheric personage known as Praktike, who makes his home here (or is it here?) and is the type of guy who walked the Peter Beinart talk a long time ago; 5) the very smart and majorly underappreciated (at least from how rarely I see him linked in left blogs) Eric Martin of Total Information Awareness; and finally (drum-roll please!) 6) the requisite "reality based" Harvard Ph.D--the mighty Mark A.R. Kleiman.

I said these blogs were in no particular order. But, coincidentally, it's worth noting that (1)-(3) are commonly viewed as right blogs; and (4)-(6) as left ones. This isn't because of some forced drive for artificial 'balance' over here at B.D.--it's just that I think all these guys (ed. note: yeah, all guys! But don't miss excellent x-chromosomers like uber-sleuth Laura, Nationista Katrina, the irrepresible Wonkette--all already blog-rolled over to the right) are very much worth reading.

Worth mentioning too, although they're not really a blog, we will also be adding that must-read daily meta-compilation of all the collected wisdom of the political commentariat -- Real Clear Politics. (Like Dan Drezner, I want to get linked more by them this year too!).

OK, so now the tedious task of adding all these people in. Back later...

P.S. While I'm at it, did I mention I'm adding the excellent Winds of Change too?

Posted by Gregory at January 5, 2005 03:45 AM
Comments

Wonkette is SO 2004. Drop her. People trust your blogroll for content, and her little has become nil.

Posted by: Simon Kenton at January 5, 2005 01:24 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Thank you kindly.

Posted by: praktike at January 5, 2005 04:04 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Many thanks Greg. BD has been a pleasure, and occasionally a pain, but that is where the fun is. Now if I could only get some of those left-leaning sites to agree to link to me...

Posted by: Eric Martin at January 5, 2005 04:52 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Eric Martin claims you're a conservative, but looking at the blogroll, there are more liberals and kerry supporters than conservatives and bush supporters.

Andrew Sullivan - kerry
The American Scene - kerry/bush
Eric Martin - kerry
Mark Kleiman - kerry
Jon Henke (Qando) - bush
Praktike - kerry
Arthur Chrenkoff - bush

maybe he thinks you're "conservative" because you're pro- iraq war and supported bush's reelection?

Posted by: john marzan at January 6, 2005 01:45 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

John,

I have seen Greg describe himself as right-leaning if not conservative. I could be wrong, but I would guess that his GOP tilt did not begin with the Iraq war or Bush's reelection. I'll leave that to him to contradict.

Some of the "Kerry supporters" you listed are also conservatives or right-leaners - and certainly not liberals. For example:

Sully, Kaus, Oxblog, Drezner, Pejman and possibly others if I cared to do a forensic analysis.

Their choice to support a Democrat in the most recent election as a lesser of two evils does not immediately change their entire political philosophy. In fact, Bush himself has betrayed many traditionally "conservative" principles, so it is not surprising that many were less than enthused with his candidacy.

Rounding out your list, Amavarinque seems to be clearly a Bush supporter and right leaning. And I would assume the same about Innocents Abroad. I could be wrong, but the content and blogroll on their respective sites would be awfully odd for a liberal, Kerry boosting blog.

Posted by: Eric Martin at January 6, 2005 05:18 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

pejman's a bush supporter, pala... sori!

re Sully, he claims that conservatives should vote for the defeatist john kerry because kerry boy shares their values... LMAO!

nuff said.

if you voted for kerry, then i question your judgment on the major issues like the WOT.

Posted by: john marzan at January 7, 2005 11:30 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

John,

You have every right to question their judgment because they supported Kerry, but that doesn't change the fact that they are conservatives. It takes more than one decision in one election.

Posted by: Eric Martin at January 7, 2005 05:04 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink