February 25, 2005

iPods, Henry, and B.D's Sad Nightlife

Amidst all the talk of late of iPod People, have I mentioned that I often blog with the i-Pod on? I've found the music keeps me put-putting along a wee bit longer into the evening hours (and also, doubtless, explains the bad prose, mammoth run-ons, tiresome regurgitations of the latest deep-think from Foreign Affairs, and so on). I'm still living out of a hotel room (its been a long four months now) and, alas, I've got a tremendously underwhelming dial-up connection to grapple with of late (not good for a blogger). Fox or CNN will typically be on in the background. Tonight, a particularly gruesome parade of horribles appeared on Fox across the room (David Duke discoursing on Ward Churchill; O'Reilly hyper-ventilating about jihadis run amok in Fairfax County; domestic Florida intrigues high on bovinity and fake blonde hair, etc).

And then, on Greta van Susteren's show, Henry Kissinger's vibrant and steely visage beckoned! Dutifully, of course, off went the i-Pod and the mute button was unclicked with dispatch. Is it just me, or is it amusing to see anchors fawningly interview the great Doctor? He always seems to be beamed in from his home in Kent, CT (read: playah status, no hauling ass to studio-land in midtown like the mortals)--the faux Anglophilia-infused surroundings almost reassuringly in sight behind Kissinger's shoulder (this montage has, by now, taken on the familiar trappings of your favorite anchor's chair). The interviewer will then try, but often stumble, to string several sentences together that are meant to appear gravitas-laden and of some geopolitical import: Putin! Mubarak! NATO! and Henry, of course, patiently and dutifully bestows his wisdom upon the lumpenproleteriat arrayed in the Atlanta and New York studios. It's a peculiarly American scene, with Kissinger's foreign-accented, gravelly voice holding court around the dinner tables of Peoria, interspersed with the breathless interrogatories about the 'region' clumsily and obsequiously delivered to the ever serene (unless it's the Beeb interviewing), steely-miened Kissinger. Kissinger increasingly appears incongruous amidst the MTVish "news" shows, of course, that are more and more becoming entertainment channels filling us in on Paris Hilton's latest exploits. My point? There is none, really, save that I probably need to get out and about more. Excuse the late night ramblings..

P.S. A final aside, re: the Sunday circuit, one wonders what Wolf Blitzer will do when Zbig and Henry are no longer available to hold court on the region amidst all the homme serieux beard-stroking and tut-tutting? OK, back to regularly scheduled programming soon...

Posted by Gregory at February 25, 2005 04:31 AM | TrackBack (36)
Comments

So, what is programmed in the I Pod? Don't be shy, my guess is your taste in music is more than your readers would expect. Fess up Greg.

Posted by: Eric Martin at February 25, 2005 11:02 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

The late-night ramblings are kind of refreshing, actually. Carry on!

Posted by: Anderson at February 25, 2005 07:38 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

"O'Reilly hyper-ventilating about jihadis run amok in Fairfax County". Well as long as they stay out there in Fairfax and don't bother us here in Arlington County, I don't mind what they do! (Satire!)

Posted by: David All at February 26, 2005 03:16 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

"A final aside, re: the Sunday circuit, one wonders what Wolf Blitzer will do when Zbig and Henry are no longer available to hold court on the region"

I expect Condi and Colon will be fully ready to step into those shoes by then.

Or perhaps Wolfowitz.

Posted by: Some Guy at February 26, 2005 05:01 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Eric,

You are being unhelpful. How about some suggestions of your own? I for one am very interested. I am feeling a little nostalgic at the moment and am listening to a mix of the Replacements (Tim), the Posies and The Band. They go quite well together.

Posted by: Lance at February 26, 2005 06:47 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Lance,

Don't get me started. I just got an IPod for Christmas and have been trawling through my CD collection (and my friends') putting together a powerhouse of a mini-library. I'm all for The Band. Amazing how they've slipped through the cracks of 1960's/1970's big acts. Quite underrated in my opinion. Music From The Big Pink, and their eponymous record are my favorites.

Here are some other nostalgic/underrated bands I've been listening to: The Jam. Amazing output, but sort of got lost in the shuffle with Elvis Costello and The Clash outshining them a bit (both of them always worth a revisiting too). Also, The Stone Roses. Their early stuff was way ahead of its time, but they got caught up with drugs and fame and burnt out after what was essentially two albums worth of material (one full album and some EPs to fill in the cracks), and one later album that is an afterthought at best.

Another recentish find for me is Nick Drake. One of those artists that when you discover you wonder what kept you apart for so long. Definitely more on the mellow side of things.

My one modern recommendation: get the Flaming Lips' latest record, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. Quirky title, but amazing record. Definitely their magnus opus, and one of the most interesting albums to emerge in the last five years. A perfect mixture of melody and innovation.

Posted by: Eric Martin at February 26, 2005 07:06 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink