March 04, 2005

Blogroll Additions

When I started this blog out two plus years ago, I thought I'd keep a pretty limited blogroll with heavyweights like Glenn and Andrew and TPM and foreign policy minded folk like Oxblog and Drezner. As time wore on, the blogroll expanded. My rule of thumb was that I'd blogroll a blog that I'd check into daily or near daily (with the exception of some like Katrina vanden Heuvel's or the New Criterion's which I linked more for the institutional connection). I never really thought I'd have much more than a dozen or score blogs on the blog-roll, truth be told (I've now got over forty with today's additions). But, and all blog triumphalism aside, there really is just too much quality stuff out there to keep one's blogroll compact anymore. I just recently made a bunch of additions, but not too long after feel compelled to do so yet again now. In no particular order, they are: 1) The Washington Note (Steve Clemons' blog); 2) Roger Simon; 3) Crooked Timber; 4)Wretchard's Belmont Club; 5) Austin Bay; 6) Jack Balkin; 7) the Becker-Posner blog, 8) James Wolcott and 9) UN Dispatch. And, yeah, there will doubtless be more additions soon.

P.S. Throw in your 2 cents to round it out to 10 new blogs added in comments if so inclined.

Posted by Gregory at March 4, 2005 01:54 AM | TrackBack (11)
Comments

I think the kids at Needlenose are good fun, and they often catch things others miss.

And Brad Plumer is good, too.

Posted by: praktike at March 4, 2005 05:09 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I'm not going to be shy...my own site, Simon World, primarily covers news and events in China and Asia. I post a twice weekly roundup of Asia news and opinion via blogs, called Asia by Blog (latest edition here or the full category).

There's always plenty going on in the region but with the notable exception of North Korea it is often overlooked as events in the Middle East (rightly) dominate.

Posted by: Simon at March 4, 2005 05:55 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I second Simon's nomination for your blogroll. The English-language East Asian blogosphere has more and more knowledgeable commentators and you'll find links to their writings every week at Simon World.

Posted by: Andres at March 4, 2005 08:06 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Ah, yes, Simon's World is invaluable. My only complaint is that there's too much invaluable information conveyed!

Posted by: praktike at March 4, 2005 03:19 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Would love to think that I belong, but in reality, I imagine I'm not conservative enough to make the list. I do like to think that I think deeply and thoughtfully about international relations before posting.

I'll second the Brad Plumer motion as well.

Posted by: Jesse Zink at March 4, 2005 07:36 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Two words: Marginal Revolution.

Posted by: fling93 at March 4, 2005 08:17 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I think I hit all the key requirements too (foreign affairs, center-conservative, fairly unique content) so do consider Peaktalk.

BTW, agree with the comment that it's impossible to keep blogrolls compact these days.

Posted by: Pieter Dorsman at March 4, 2005 08:22 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I'm notorious for not being able to see things right in front of me, so you may already have The Knowledge Problem (Lynne Kiesling's blog) listed and I just missed it.

It's an economics blog you read to get ideas about those issues that come up on the news and leave you wondering if anyone can understand them.

Posted by: Zathras at March 4, 2005 08:26 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Hey, Zathras, how come you don't have a blog?

Posted by: praktike at March 4, 2005 08:30 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

How about Ali (Free Iraqi) or his brothers (Iraq the Model)? Or even Across the Bay for Lebanese updates. Or New Sisyphus, or RightThinkingPeople.

Posted by: Bruce at March 4, 2005 10:24 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

It's been awhile since I used html, so please forgive me for posting the links in URL format.

1) The Mudville Gazette (http://www.mudvillegazette.com/) -- a blog focused on military affairs (similar to Belmont Club and Winds of Change).

2) In The Red Zone (http://spencepublishing.typepad.com/in_the_red_zone/) -- the blog share the name of the author's recent book. His story is fascinating. A NYC art critic/journalist, he witnessed 9/11 and was forever changed. After the Iraqi invasion he decided he had to be a part of history and went to Iraq to stay a couple of months and write about his experience. Get the book -- he supports the war but doesn't flinch from presenting all sides and highlighting the hardships faced by ordinary Iraqis.

3) Victor Davis Hanson's Private Papers (http://www.victorhanson.com/index.html) -- technically not a blog, but more of a forum that posts all of VDH's writings as well as a few pieces from assorted other writers. If I could point to one person who has influenced my thinking on the War on Terror more than any other (even more than you Greg), it would be VDH. He is just simply brilliant -- combining a PHD in the Greek/Latin classics with a general knowledge of military history, his prose is clear and concise and always persuasive.

Cheers,

Jeff

Posted by: Jeff Singer at March 4, 2005 10:32 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Would it count as greedy if I put in a bid for Liberals Against Terrorism?

Would I (and Praktike) be accused of trying to monopolize the BD blogroll?

Posted by: Eric Martin at March 4, 2005 10:49 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I'll throw my weight toward Brad Plumer- excellent blogger.

Posted by: Matt at March 5, 2005 03:09 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

It is a research project in itself searching through the blogs to find one that consistently provides good information and opinion. However, once you get in the habit of reading a few, you lose track of the really unique ones with all the tidbits most news sources never cover.

Posted by: Rizzo at March 5, 2005 03:28 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

This isn't so much a recommendation as a revision: I've moved to http://www.outsidethebeltway.com.

Thanks for the continued support, Greg!

Posted by: Robert Tagorda at March 5, 2005 05:43 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

How about me? Shameless, I know.

The Adventures of Chester
www.theadventuresofchester.com

Posted by: Chester at March 5, 2005 04:15 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Praktike, I'm flattered by the thought, and suppose I post enough overall that actually running my own site wouldn't take that much more time. But that's a conceit, really; writing doesn't take much time (for me, anyway) but the reading and research I'd feel compelled to do if I had my own platform would keep me busy all the time. I can't afford it.

Posted by: Zathras at March 5, 2005 10:42 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I think as far as international economics goes (which I think is somewhat relevant to the international affairs slant of this blog), you should seriously consider adding Brad Setser and/or Nouriel Roubini.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't think Roger Simon is worth "BD blogroll shelf space".

Posted by: Guy at March 6, 2005 12:26 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Zathras, if you want a soapbox over at our place, let me know via email and I'll set you up. I've always liked your comments.

Posted by: praktike at March 6, 2005 04:28 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I second Victor Davis Hanson, and nominate Micheal Totten.

Posted by: Scott at March 6, 2005 11:04 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Zathras, this should be no surprise of course, but I second Praktike's suggestion of you getting a blog.

Posted by: fling93 at March 7, 2005 08:01 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Zathras,

I would like you to start a blog as well. However, my hesitation has been much the same as yours. I am about to take the plunge anyway and figure it will be fun if lightly visited. As long as your expectations are low for yourself who cares? Of course I like the idea of you over at Liberals against Terrorism. It would make my surfing easier. Keep after him praktike.

Posted by: Lance at March 7, 2005 09:09 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

maybe z could guest-blog here sometime? get a feel....

Posted by: greg at March 9, 2005 01:05 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink