December 16, 2005

We Get Comments

A commenter in a previous thread has some fun on B.D's account:

In a fog of cuteness comes a voice snippy and arch
Tis Belgravia Bob's latest snobbish demarche
It's not whether the troops are too many or too few
Nor whether we stay or simply skidoo
The matter is this, as simple as can be:
How today can I say I'm smarter than thee?
Complexity is better (even when it's invented)
Than anything optimistically presented
Even with analysis thin, and logic astray
And even when kissing up windbag Henry the K
So long as its fuzzily negative and not too specific
Andrew Sullivan might get others to click it.

Touche. We'll try to tone the pompousness and Henry the K wind-bag tendencies down a notch, promise!

Posted by Gregory at December 16, 2005 11:35 PM | TrackBack (3)
Comments

please don't. That's what keeps things civil around here. :)

Posted by: lukasiak at December 17, 2005 12:58 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I agree with your critic. I visit you every day hoping to find something useful to put into our news service. But it takes less than a paragraph for me to decide no and move on. There is no doubt that you work hard, but there are limits.

Posted by: Mr. G at December 17, 2005 05:19 AM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I don't agree with Greg's poetic critic. Writing style is a matter of personal choice; sometimes I admire Greg's and sometimes not, but I've never had the impression he was trying to be clever for its own sake or to strike a pose.

My own criticism of his posts would be similar to criticism I've heard of mine from time to time. Namely, the best posts are those that take one subject and stick to it, not the ones that start off in one place and try to solve all the world's problems before the "submit" button is clicked. Ironically time pressure can produce longer posts, if one starts out determined to post only once and while writing thinks of things he just has to say.

Posted by: JEB at December 17, 2005 08:46 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Now, let's be clear, I like this blog and how it's written. And, yeah, there's the, umm, sorta patrician Gallcisms and asides, but, hey, they're part of the fun, I'm sure in person Djerejian's a blast, I say, leave 'em in.

But that said: beginning the response with "Touche"? Seriously? Unintentional irony there.....

Posted by: Sanjay Krishnaswamy at December 17, 2005 09:28 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

Posted by: Sanjay Krishnaswamy at December 17, 2005 09:30 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I have no idea what the poet is talking about.

I don't detect anything pompous or snobbish in Greg's writing style, but hey, that's just me.

Otherwise, Greg is no more opinionated than the next blogger, right or left.

Of course I prefer to relax with nothing less than Glenlivet (and oftentimes better). I suspect our poet is perfectly happy with quarts of Budweiser.

Don't change a thing, Greg......other than that inexplicable stubborn refusal to place responsibility at Bush's feet and it would be nice if, for once, you thought in terms of costs/benefits, financing, etc re: Iraq "stay the course".

Posted by: avedis at December 18, 2005 02:14 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink

I'm frankly disappointed by the poet's poor grasp of basic meter. That thing scans terribly, and only needed a few simple revisions to flow much more easily.

Unless that's the point? Does the jarring arrhythmia of the lines recreate the poet's (or should I say "speaker's"?) choppy thinking? Could I be missing a masterful combination of sound and sense?

Posted by: scarpy at December 18, 2005 08:27 PM | Permalink to this comment Permalink